5 And God saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every imagination of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 And it repented the Lord that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him at his heart.
7 And the Lord said, I will destroy man whom I have created from the face of the earth; both man, and beast, and the creeping thing, and the fowls of the air; for it repenteth me that I have made them.
8 But Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord.
9 These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.Gen. 6:5-9
1 And the Lord said unto Noah, Come thou and all thy house into the ark; for thee have I seen righteous before me in this generation.Gen 7:1
1 And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters assuaged;Gen. 8:1
21 And the Lord smelled a sweet savour; and the Lord said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man’s sake; for the imagination of man’s heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
22 While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.Gen 8:21-22
Noah’s walk with God is very instructive of the times we are in. Noah stood steadfast in his walk with God even when everything else around him was against God, very much like the world we live in now. It was this steadfastness with God that made him find favour in the eyes of God.
God finding that one person before destroying the world shows us a lot about the kind of God we serve; a merciful and compassionate God that is always looking for a way out for us. We can also see this compassion in Abraham’s negotiation with God for Sodom in Gen. 18:16-33. In verse 23, Abraham asked God if he will destroy Sodom and its wicked people along with the righteous; he asked God if he will keep Sodom if he found 10 people righteous, and God said Yes. That is the kind of God we serve, always looking for a way of escape for us in all situation. He always provides a way for his own.
In our current day however, we know that this COVID19 situation in the world right now is not of God, but an onslaught of hell. We know this for sure because of what God promised us in Gen. 8:21-22, and because we know his word is true (Hebrews 6:18). Therefore, what we need in these times, first is to keep asking for God to show us mercy and come to our aid against this onslaught of hell, and second to fix our walk with him, to stay steadfast like Noah, and righteous, so that God can at look down at any coordinate on earth and find at least 10 righteous people like Abraham asked, for whom he will intervene in matters concerning us and our world.
If God was merciful in Noah’s time for him to find grace in God’s eyes, then even much more now if we call on him (Psalm 86:5)
We need God to remember us like he did Noah and come to our aid. How do we do this? By crying out to him for help. By acknowledging that he is the only one that can and will help us. By accepting that our help is in the name of the Lord (Psalm 124:8), so that we may say “If it had not been the Lord who was on our side …”. We get God to remember us by taking our walk with God even more seriously and remaining steadfast in his ways and percepts. And when he remembers us, then like in Noah’s day, this pandemic will be assuaged till it is no more.
In our day, we don’t have an ark to run into, we have something stronger. The name of the Lord. Proverbs 18:10 says “The name name of the Lord is a strong Tower, the righteous runs to it and are safe”, and that is where we need to be. The ark kept Noah safe, the Name of the Lord will keep us safe.
However, there’s a clear requirement to enter the tower – You have to be righteous. You can’t enter the tower unless you are righteous, and the only way to be certified as righteous is through faith in Christ Jesus.
We know this because that’s what the bible tells us;
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.Romans 10:4
But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness.Romans 4:5
And that I may [actually] be found and known as in Him, not having any [self-achieved] righteousness that can be called my own, based on my obedience to the Law’s demands (ritualistic uprightness and supposed right standing with God thus acquired), but possessing that [genuine righteousness] which comes through faith in Christ (the Anointed One), the [truly] right standing with God, which comes from God by [saving] faith.Philippians 3:9 AMPC
Therefore, since we are justified (acquitted, declared righteous, and given a right standing with God) through faith, let us [grasp the fact that we] have [the peace of reconciliation to hold and to enjoy] peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ (the Messiah, the Anointed One).Romans 5:1 AMPC
The question then is; Do you have the pass for the ark? Are you certified righteous? Or you are working under the assumption that you are because of one or two religious practices you do?
- Have you just joined a born again church?
- Do you have a lot of born again friends?
- Are you doing your best not to harm another human being?
- Are you full of many good works?
- Have you just made several good resolutions to turn a new leaf?
- Do you believe you are good enough as you were born and bred?
- Do you even believe what the Bible said about Jesus being the saviour of the whole world (but with no personal relationship with Him)?
- Do you give money to churches, men of God and projects?
- Are you holding spiritual titles presently and many in your past?
If you answered yes to any of the question, and believe that this is the pass that justifies you for the ark, then you are VERY WRONG. There’s no safety in the tower for you; You are like the rest of the people in Noah’s city, like the people in Sodom, you don’t have the pass for the ark, you have no safety.
But, there’s a way to get the pass; it is by being saved, being made into the righteousness of God. Then logically, the next question is how then can you be saved?
- Realize that you are a sinner – “For all have sinned, and come “short of the glory of God” Rom 3:23
- Receive the gospel (good news of what Jesus did on the cross – died for your sins). – For there is one God, and one mediator between God and men, the man Christ Jesus; who gave himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time. 1 Tim. 2:5-6. “This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief. 1 Tim. 1:15
- Realize through the preaching of the gospel the sinfulness of your personal sin.
- Realize your need of a personal saviour from sin. “Jesus said to him. Do you believe in the son of God? John 9:35-38.
- Make a spiritual willful decision to turn away from sin and the sinful state and turn to Jesus to be your personal Lord and Saviour. “Repent ye therefore, and be converted, that your sins may be blotted out, when the times of refreshing shall come from the presence of the Lord. Act 3:19. Some people turn to good deed and doing penance or self torture for a personal Saviour; No, only Jesus can be your personal saviour.
- Believe the report of God about Jesus. Rom. 10:9-10. “That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.”
- Have a credible evidence of a changed life and attitude to sin, God, people of God and the world based on your repentance and acceptance of Jesus. “Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.” II Cor. 5:17
- Be irrevocably committed to following Jesus and His will and word in all issues of life. “What will you have me to do Lord?” Acts. 9:6 If you do these things you’ll be saved.
Do you want to accept Christ into your heart now? Pray this prayer.
Father I come to you in the name of Jesus. I know that I’m a sinner and cannot save myself. But Jesus died for me, He shed His blood that I might be saved, today I accept Jesus as my personal Lord and saviour, forgive me all my sins, wash me with your blood and make me whole. I forsake the devil, the world and all sinful habits, I believe with my heart and confess with my mouth that Jesus is my Lord. Father I thank you because you have saved me in Jesus name. Amen.
Now, for the genuinely saved, living in the righteousness of God and walking steadfastly with God; This is not the time to relax and enjoy safety, but the time to get more people into our ark; time to help more people come into the tower. The bible says “the righteous runs into it”; not just anyone, “The Righteous”. So that we don’t have to negotiate with God for 10 people like Abraham did, from 50, we need to get more people into the light. This is a call to action for us to go into our world and win more souls for Christ.
Till next time, go and win with Christ!